This is my go to recipe for apple cake. I know that it is traditional that people use granny smith apple for baking, but I prefer to use red apples. In fact, I use the rather cheap red delicious apples for this recipe and it always come out perfect 🙂
One thing that may alarmed you is the ratio between the batter and the apples. Prior to baking, it will look like there is almost not enough batter, just enough to coat the apple pieces, but have faith, the amount of batter will be definitely be enough and the cake will come out all right.
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- 8 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup sugar (*)
- 3 tablespoon rum
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 4 large apple, peeled, cored, cut into small pieces (**)
- Preheat oven to 350 Fahrenheit (180 Celcius) and butter an 8 inch x 8 inch baking dish.
- Whisk together all purpose flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, beat eggs with a mixer until foamy, then add sugar and continue beating until well mixed. Pour in the rum and vanilla, mix well.
- Add half of the flour into the egg mixture, beat until well mixed. Then pour half of the butter, and beat until well mixed. Repeat once more with the rest of the flour, and the rest of the butter.
- With a spatula, fold in the apple pieces into the batter, mix well. Then pour the entire thing into the prepared baking dish.
- Bake until golden brown, about 1 hour, or until a cake tester comes out clean.
(**) I am using red delicious apples, but you can use other kind of apples as well.