After my success with the no bake lime cake, I feel confident enough to tackle baking a cake in my rice cooker. The easiest one has to be this upside down apple cake since there is no decorating involved. I suck at cake decoration, I am pathetic like that. 😀 If apple is not your cup of tea, you can use pear or pineapple, the other two classic fruits for an upside down cake. One day, I will have my oven (again), but for now, I am glad I can use my rice cooker for something other than cooking rice and steaming. ♥
Can you tell that I flipped a bowl upside down and stacked my plate on top of it to make a make shift “cake stand”? Pretty appropriate stand for an upside down cake, don’t you think? Now you know just how often I actually make a cake huh, haha, like once in a blue moon. ♥
- 180 gram all purpose flour, sifted
- 70 gram sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoon vanilla powder (vanilla essence works even better)
- 1 egg
- 150 ml milk
- 50 gram butter, melted
- 1 apple (I use a Fuji apple)
- cinnamon powder
- 1 rice cooker (mine is a basic 10 cup capacity rice cooker with teflon coating pot)
- First, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and vanilla powder in a mixing bowl. These are basically all the dry ingredients. If you are using vanilla essence, add the essence in the next step.
- Next, add the egg, milk, and melted butter into the mixing bowl. Stir/whisk until well combined and try to remove all the lumps from the batter.
- Peel and core the apple, divide into 12 sections and place them in a circle at the bottom of the rice cooker pot. Sprinkle with some cinnamon.
- Pour the batter to completely cover the apples, flatten the batter.
- Place the rice cooker pot into the rice cooker and press the "cook" button. Once it turns to "warm", wait for 10 minutes. Repeat the "cook" and "warm" process another 3 times for a total of 4 "cook" and "warm" cycles.
- Open the rice cooker lid, and test if the cake is done by inserting a toothpick into the cake. If the toothpick comes out clean, it is done. If not, repeat the "cook" and "warm" cycle again until the cake is done.
- Remove the rice cooker pot, cover the pot with a plate wider than the pot opening, flip upside down and the cake should drop onto the plate, and voila, you have just bake a cake with your rice cooker. Best served immediately while the cake is still warm.