I am liking this pound cake with cream cheese and rum so much, and I think if you are a pound cake enthusiast, you need to give this velvet cream cheese pound cake a try. It’s not that much different than baking a regular pound cake, and the inclusion of cream cheese and rum make this pound cake feel special.
Everything at room temperature
I think the most important tip I can give is to make sure all the ingredient is at room temperature. So if you know you are going to bake a pound cake, take out the butter, cream cheese, and egg out from the fridge. Let them sit for a while. I find that this goes a long way to making sure you get a perfect batter.
Baking and tenting
When a cake needs a long baking time, it generally helps if you tent the cake in the middle of the baking process. Tenting helps ensure that the top of the cake won’t get browned too much. To tent a cake, cut a piece of aluminum foil large enough to cover the cake pan. When a recipe specify that it is time to tent the cake, simply place this piece of aluminum foil on top of the cake pan. For this recipe, I tent my cake at 60 minutes mark, and my total baking time is 90 minutes.
- 200 gram (7 ounce/14 tablespoon) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 85 gram (3 ounce) cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 300 gram (10.5 ounce/1.5 cup) sugar
- 200 gram (7 ounce/1¾ cup) all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoon spiced rum
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 5 eggs, room temperature
- Preheat oven to 165 Celsius (325 Fahrenheit). Grease and flour a 9"x5" loaf pan.
- Place butter and cream cheese in a large mixing bowl and beat with electric mixer until very light and fluffy.
- Add salt, sugar, all purpose flour, and baking powder to the bowl. Mix again until combine. Don't worry if the batter becomes stiff.
- Add rum and 1 egg. Beat well. Continue adding one egg at a time and beat well with each egg. The finished batter should be extremely light and fluffy.
- Pour the batter to the prepared loaf pan, and bake for 1 hour. Use an aluminum foil and tent the cake at one hour mark, then with the cake tented, bake again for another 30 minutes. Total baking time from start to finish is 90 minutes.
- Once the cake is fully cooked and a cake tester comes out clean, remove the cake from oven. Let the cake cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then gently turn it out to cool completely on a wire rack. Serve the cake warm or at room temperature.