This chicken in Chinese rice wine recipe is one that is super easy to make, as long as you can get a hold of the rice wine. The recipe is passed down to me from my Mom, and hers specifically use two kinds of rice wine, the yellow rice wine (Chinese: huang jiu) and the white rice wine (Chinese: bai jiu) in a two to one ratio. The requisite old ginger is there, but it also has angelica root (Chinese: dang gui root), red dates/jujube fruit (Chinese: hong zao), and goji berries/wolfberries (Chinese: gou gi zi). You just know its going to taste great with a list of ingredients like that, right? ♥
According to Chinese tradition, a woman right after her pregnancy will need to eat this dish for 30 days straight. It is believed that this is good for the new Mom, keeping her warm and what not. This dish is super tasty, but having to eat even the tastiest food for 30 days straight must be a pretty horrible experience. But all new Mom seems to bear with it since they are supposed to be good for her (and her baby presumably)? I for one am not buying it, I mean, this dish is boozy as hell. Maybe someone expert in this needs to explain to me why new Mom need to be stoned drunk for 1 month? Meanwhile, the rest of us are of course free to have this whenever we feel like it. Make sure you don’t drive afterwards if you are feeling a bit tipsy. ♥
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 100 gram ginger (old one is better), peeled and bruised
- 1 whole free range chicken (Indonesian: ayam kampung), cut into 8 pieces
- 3 slices of angelica root (Chinese: dang gui)
- 8 dried jujube fruits/red dates (Chinese: hong zao)
- 1 tablespoon dried goji berries/wolfberries (Chinese: gou gi zi)
- 400 ml Chinese yellow rice wine (Chinese: huang jiu)
- 200 ml Chinese white rice wine (Chinese: bai jiu)
- 50 gram rock sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Heat oil in a pot and fry ginger until fragrant, about 3 minutes.
- Add chicken pieces and cook until no longer pink, about 2 minutes.
- Add angelica root, jujube fruit, goji berries, yellow rice wine, and white rice wine. Mix well and bring to a boil.
- Season with rock sugar and salt. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour.
- Remove from heat and serve immediately.