Prep work and mise en place are really important when preparing stir fried dishes. In fact, the time needed for the prep work may easily double or triple that of cooking time. If you need to fumble around looking for that bottle of sauce while some of the food are already in the cooking pan, or worse, you still need to chop that herb, you are running a high risk of overcooking the entire dish and making the entire endeavor a waste. So, make extra sure that you have everything ready before you start cooking. ♥
This beef and oyster mushroom stir fry is really easy to prepare, the longest time required is actually in the marinating process, which you definitely do not want to skip. You can always marinate the beef overnight in the fridge and cook it the next day if it is more convenient for you. Everything else can be prepared just minutes right before cooking. Enjoy! 😉
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce (Indonesian: kecap asin)
- 1 tablespoon corn starch (Indonesian: tepung maizena)
- 500 gram beef (rump steak), thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoon oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (Indonesian: bawang putih)
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger (Indonesian: jahe)
- 250 gram oyster mushroom (Indonesian: jamur tiram), tear into bite size pieces
- 2 tablespoon oyster sauce (Indonesian: saus tiram)
- 2 teaspoon sugar
- ground pepper, to taste
- 4 scallions (Indonesian: daun bawang), cut into 1 inch sections
- 2 red anaheim chilies (Indonesian: cabe merah besar), diced
- Mix together soy sauce and corn starch, then combine with beef in a mixing bowl and stir until well mixed. Cover with a saran plastic wrap, and marinate for at least 2 hours in the fridge.
- Heat 2 tablespoon oil in a wok/frying pan, sauté garlic and ginger until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Add beef to the wok, stir well to separate the pieces so everything cooks evenly. Cook for about 2 to 3 minutes until browned and tender. Remove from the wok and set aside.
- Heat the remaining 2 tablespoon of oil, and sauté mushroom until wilted and browned.
- Return the beef to the wok, stir to mix with the mushroom, then season with oyster sauce, sugar, and pepper. Toss until everything is thoroughly combined.
- Add scallions and chilies, mix well, and cook only until heated through, about 1 minute. Turn off heat and transfer to a serving plate.