This recipe for beet, carrot, and ginger salad is my submission to the Healthy Cooking Challenge hosted by Facebook group Berbagi Resep Masakan. The theme is Masakan Serba Umbi-Umbian, which means the recipe needs to showcase tubers in a fun and healthy meal. Some of the tubers suggested by the host include: cassava, sweet potato, potato, taro, beet, carrot, and daikon.
I thought it would be exciting to pick a couple of ingredients from the suggested list and make a super healthy and yummy salad out of it. Beet and carrot seems to be two of the healthiest among the bunch, so I go with those as my main ingredients. To perk things up, I add shallot, raisin, grated ginger, and chopped lemon basil leaves. After sprinkle the salad with some salt and pepper, I make a super simple dressing by mixing olive oil, lime juice, honey, and mustard. The salad turns out to be super refreshing and so flavorful, and knowing that this packs a lot of vitamins and minerals doesn’t hurt one bit, right? ♥
- 250 gram carrot (Indonesian: wortel), peeled and slice into thin ribbons (I use a peeler)
- 250 gram beet (Indonesian: bit), peeled and slice into thin ribbons (I use a peeler)
- 8 shallots (Indonesian: bawang merah), peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoon raisin (Indonesian: kismis)
- salt (Indonesian: garam), about 1 teaspoon (or to taste)
- pepper (Indonesian: merica), about ½ teaspoon (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (Indonesian: minyak zaitun)
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger (Indonesian: jahe)
- 2 tablespoon lime juice (Indonesian: jeruk nipis)
- 2 teaspoon honey (Indonesian: madu)
- 2 teaspoon mustard
- ½ cup chopped lemon basil (Indonesian: daun kemangi)
- Place carrot ribbons, beet ribbons, sliced shallots, and raisins in a mixing bowl.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add olive oil, grated ginger, lime juice, honey, and mustard. Toss and adjust the taste as needed.
- Toss in the chopped lemon basil and serve immediately.