Shiitake mushrooms taste great no matter how you prepare them, one of the best thing you can ask from a food, right? One of my favorite way to enjoy these mushrooms is to make a quick simmer/stew like this recipe. They are great as appetizer, side dish, or cut into thin slices and used as one of the maki (rolled sushi) ingredients, give it a try. ♥
- 8 fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 300 ml dashi stock (or 300 ml water + 1 teaspoon bonito flavored dashi seasoning)
- 2 tablespoon mirin
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce
- Remove the stems from shiitake mushrooms. Using a damp cloth, gently clean the caps from dirt. Try not to wash the mushrooms under running water.
- Combine dashi stock, mirin, sugar, and soy sauce in a pot. Add shiitake mushrooms and bring to a boil. Simmer until sauce is almost gone.
- Slice mushroom into thin slices (optional) and serve with steamed white rice.