This is a quick and easy stir fry and a good use of a head of cabbage. To prepare for stir frying, I usually tear the cabbage with hands and remove all the tough ribs to ensure the cabbage can be fully cooked in a short time, it is stir frying after all. You can save the tough ribs for making soup so they don’t go to waste 🙂
If you want to make it non-vegetarian, try adding some pieces of thinly sliced meat like chicken, beef, or pork. You will want to cook the meat first for a minute or two before adding the cabbage and proceed with the rest of the cooking steps.
- 1 head cabbage
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ inch ginger, minced
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced white parts and cut green parts into 1 inch sections
- 5 dried chilies
- ½ teaspoon Sichuan peppercorns (optional)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ tablespoon black vinegar
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- Gently tear cabbage with hands, remove the tough ribs. Washed and drained.
- Heat oil in a wok/frying pan over medium heat. Sauté garlic, ginger, and white parts of scallions until fragrant, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add dried chilies and Sichuan peppercorns, fry for another 30 seconds.
- Turn the heat to high, then add cabbage, along with salt, black vinegar, and light soy sauce. Stir fry for 1-2 minutes until the cabbage starts to wilt. Turn off heat. Add the green parts of scallions, mix well. Transfer to a serving plate and serve hot.