Tempeh Goreng Lengkuas – Fried Tempeh in Galangal Sauce
Deep fried plain tempeh is delicious, but when it is cooked this way, it is simply out of this world. All the spices will be absorbed by the tempeh, and the deep fried ground spice will become the most delicious crunchy spice flakes ever. ♥
- 450 gram tempeh, cut into 1cm x 1cm x 2cm blocks
- 2 bay leaves (Indonesian: daun salam)
- 2 teaspoon palm sugar (Indonesian: gula Jawa)
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 600 ml water
- 100 gram galangal (Indonesian: lengkuas)
- 8 shallots (Indonesian: bawang merah)
- 5 cloves garlic (Indonesian: bawang putih)
- 3 candlenuts (Indonesian: kemiri)
- 2 lemongrass (Indonesian: sereh)
- 1 fresh turmeric (Indonesian: kunyit), peeled
- 1½ teaspoon ground coriander (Indonesian: bubuk ketumbar)
- Place all ingredients in a pot and bring to a boil. Cook uncovered until all liquid has been absorbed by the tempeh. Turn off heat and set aside.
- Heat enough oil in a pot for deep frying. Fry the tempeh until golden brown. Serve immediately.