Christmas is just around the corner and it is an appropriate time for apple cider, especially if it is warm, homemade, and has lots of spices. I know that most people will go the traditional route with cinnamon and all spice for their apple cider, but it is never a bad thing to introduce something new every now and then. For one, it will be a great conversational topic. And who knows, you might end up with a new favorite. ♥
- 1 kilogram red skinned apple, peeled and cored
- 2 honey dates (Chinese: mi zao) (*)
- 2 liter water
- 3 tablespoon goji berries (Chinese: gou gi zi)
- rock sugar, to taste (**)
- slices of apple for garnish
- Place apple, honey dates, and water in a pot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour.
- With a strainer, drain to get the apple juice.
- Return the apple juice to the pot. Add goji berries, and bring to another boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add rock sugar as needed. This may not be necessary if the apples are particularly sweet.
- Turn off heat. Transfer to a pitcher. Serve warm or chilled. You can add some slices of apple into each serving glass as garnish.
(**) Rock sugar can be substituted with regular sugar or honey