My Mom used to make this whenever we start eating too many fried food and believe that we need to cool off our body. Don’t ask me if it works or not, we just kind of accept that it works. But the better question would be, is it tasty? And to that, I would wholeheartedly give a resounding YES, it is super yummy. ♥
- 100 gram barley (Indonesian: jali), washed and drained a couple of times
- 125 gram candied winter melon (Indonesian: baligo/beligo/kundur)
- 3 pandan leaves, washed and knotted
- 3 liter water
- sugar (optional), to taste
- Place all ingredients in a pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 1½ hour until barley is soft.
- Taste if it is sweet enough, usually it is, but you can add more sugar if you prefer a sweeter drink.
- Turn off heat. Can be served hot, at room temperature, or chilled.