Someone in your house is hungry and demand to be fed in less than 15 minutes. Does this sound familiar? Well, if you have one pound of broccoli and one block of firm tofu, you can make this tasty and healthy dish under 15 minutes, thus problem solved. Also, have I told you that this dish is vegan, and gluten free to boot, so no need to worry about fussy eaters.
Let’s begin with the prep work. In a mixing bowl, combine vegetable stock (or water and mushroom stock), sugar, ground white pepper (or black pepper), soy sauce, dark soy sauce (skip if you don’t have this), Shaoxing (or dry sherry, or sake if that’s what you have at home), and sesame oil in a mixing bowl. Then, prepare a corn starch slurry by mixing together 1 tablespoon corn starch with 2 tablespoon water. Finally, mince 3 cloves garlic, cut 1 block firm tofu into cubes, and wash 1 pound (450 gram) of broccoli florets.
Once the prep work is done, and we are ready to cook. Heat 2 tablespoon oil in a wok/frying pan over medium high heat. Sauté garlic until fragrant, then add broccoli and cook until it looks greener, probably 1 minute is enough. Then, add tofu cubes and sauce (the one with vegetable stock and soy sauce in it), and mix well. Once the sauce boils, add corn starch slurry and cook another 2 minutes to thicken the sauce. And we are done! Certainly, this is a dish that is doable in 15 minutes right?
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound (450 gram) broccoli florets, washed and drained
- 1 block (about 400 gram) firm tofu, cut into cubes
- 1 cup vegetable stock (or 1 cup water + ½ teaspoon mushroom stock granules)
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground white/black pepper
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon Shaoxing wine (or Japanese sake, or dry sherry)
- 1 teaspoon dark soy sauce (skip if you don't have this)
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 2 tablespoon water
- Heat oil in a wok/frying pan over medium high heat. Sauté garlic until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add broccoli into the wok/pan, stir, and cook until broccoli looks greener, about 1 minute.
- Add tofu cubes and sauce into the wok/pan, mix well.
- Once the sauce boils, add corn starch, and cook until the sauce is thickened, about 2 minutes.
- Turn off heat and serve immediately