Garlic and Chili Sweet Sauce
This garlic and chili sweet sauce is easy to make and is the perfect sauce to go with all Chinese savory snack or dim sum items. There are many shops still in Jakarta where you can find these yummy snacks, such as spring roll, siomay, deep fried taro ball, etc, especially in neighborhoods where lots of Chinese descents congregate I am sure you have noticed that you always get this chili sauce to go with your snacks. So, if you plan on making Chinese savory snacks at home, be sure to serve them with this chili sauce. ♥
- 200 gram red chilies, remove some or all seeds for a mild chili sauce (*)
- 10 cloves garlic
- 3 cups (750 ml) water
- 5 gram tamarind pulp
- 4 tablespoon sugar, or to taste
- ½ tablespoon salt, or to taste
- In a spice attachment for a blender (or food processor), grind together red chilies and garlic into coarse paste.
- Boil together the chili paste, water, tamarind pulp, sugar, and salt. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 to 45 minutes until the sauce has thickened. Adjust salt and sugar as needed.
- Turn off the heat. Let it cool, then transfer to glass jar(s). Best if you let the chili sauce chill overnight in fridge before using.