The smell of orange peel wafting in the air while the mung bean soup is cooking away is simply divine and turns the humble mung bean into a dessert fit for kings (or at least me and Piti anyway). My Mom always uses dried orange peel, but I prefer using fresh ones since it is less of a hassle (she dried her own orange peels!) and I find the end result more fragrant anyway. But I did find some Asian stores selling packaged dried orange peels, so it can be handy to use that when fresh oranges are not available.
- 100 gram mung bean (Indonesian: kacang hijau), washed and drained
- orange peel from 1 orange
- 1½ liter water
- 100 gram sugar
- Place mung bean, orange peel, and water in a soup pot and bring to a boil. Cook until the bean has started to burst.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour until the bean is tender and almost thoroughly falls apart.
- Add sugar and stir until fully dissolved. Turn off the heat.
- Divide into serving bowls and serve immediately.