Chinese, especially Cantonese cuisine, uses a lot of fruits in savory dishes. It is no wonder then that we even make chicken soup with honeydew, surprise huh? Another fruit that is also commonly used in savory soup is of course apple, and most popular of all would be apple soup with deep fried fish and pork ribs soup. Hm… now I am super tempted to cover that in my future post, haha. ♥
- 1 free range chicken (Indonesian: ayam kampung), cut into 8 pieces
- 8 dried jujube fruits/red dates (Chinese: hong zao)
- 2 tablespoon wolfberries/goji berries (Chinese: gou gi zi)
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups water
- 500 gram honeydew flesh, cut into cubes
- Place chicken, jujube, wolfberries, salt, and water into a soup pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 hr.
- Add honeydew and bring to another boil. Reduce heat and simmer for another 15 minutes. Adjust with salt and sugar since the sweetness of honeydew may varies.
- Turn off heat and serve immediately.