Mom recently gave me two big jars of deep fried mini anchovies (ikan teri goreng). They are super delicious and though I have been adding anchovies to my rice for lunch and dinner, I still got quite a lot left and I start to worry if they will turn bad. So, on a whim, I decided to make a fried rice using anchovies as the star ingredient. ♥
And not just any fried rice too, I add green Anaheim peppers, better known as cabe hijau besar in Indonesian to get some green tinge on my fried rice. Pretty amazing huh? By the way, adding some acar (Indonesian pickle) makes this fried rice even better than it already is. ♥
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 500 gram cooked white rice (Indonesian: nasi putih yang sudah dimasak)
- 50 gram fried mini anchovies (Indonesian: ikan teri goreng)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon ground white pepper
- 4 shallots (Indonesian: bawang merah)
- 4 cloves garlic (Indonesian: bawang putih)
- 4 green Anaheim peppers (Indonesian: cabe hijau besar), seeded
- 2 eggs, cooked sunny side up (Indonesian: telur mata sapi)
- Indonesian pickle (Indonesian: acar)
- Heat oil in a frying pan/wok on high heat. Sauté spice paste until fragrant, about 3 minutes.
- Add cooked white rice, fried mini anchovies, season with salt, sugar, and ground white pepper. Stir so that everything is well mixed, about 3 minutes.
- Turn off heat, divide the rice into two serving plates and serve each with one sunny side up egg and some Indonesian pickle.