Matcha (green tea powder) and adzuki (red bean) is a great match in almost anything you can think off, so of course they are going to be a perfect pair in this matcha pound cake and adzuki cream. For the pound cake, I am using the matcha condensed milk pound cake in my previous post. If you have a great recipe for a matcha sponge cake, you can use that as well. So, let’s dive into this super easy and super delicious adzuki cream.
For the cream, we need 100 ml (6 tablespoon + 2 teaspoon) whipping cream and 200 gram anko (red bean paste). You can use store bough anko, or make your own following my recipe. First, whip the cream with a whisk (either hand whisking or with electric mixer should work just as fine) until stiff, then fold in the anko into a uniform mixture.
Before assembling the cake, it is better if you let the cake chill in the fridge, so I usually bake the cake a day ahead, chill, then assemble the next day. I cut my pound cake into 3 layers, do try to make the three layers to have equal height, I think I need more practice on this myself 🙂 Sandwich a layer of cream in between two layers of pound cake, so from bottom to top is like this: pound cake layer, cream layer (using 1/3 of cream), pound cake layer, cream layer (using 1/3 of cream), and finally pound cake layer. Cover the cake with the remaining 1/3 of cream. To make sure the cream holds better, it is a good idea to chill the assembled cake in the fridge for 2 hours before serving. To be honest, my cake decorating skill sucks big time, so with one cake and one serving of cream, I am sure you can go ahead and decorate your cake with better result.
- 1 matcha pound cake (use this recipe)
- 100 ml (6 tablespoon + 2 teaspoon) whipping cream
- 200 gram anko (red bean paste) (use this recipe)
- Cut pound cake into 3 layers.
- Make the adzuki cream: Whisk the whipping cream until stiff, then fold in the anko and mix into a homogenous mixture.
- Assemble the cake: From bottom to top: 1 layer of pound cake, ⅓ of a adzuki cream, 1 layer of pound cake, ⅓ of adzuki cream, final layer of pound cake. Cover the cake with the remaining ⅓ of adzuki cream.
- Chill the cake for 2 hours. Cut and serve.