Hey! Nice to meet you! My name is Anita. I am the cook, author, and photographer behind Daily Cooking Quest. I started this blog on June 1st, 2013 as a way to chronicle the many recipes that I have learned from my Mom, my friends, and from so many cookbooks, magazines, and other bloggers along the way.
My Mom is the best cook that I know, even among my many aunties who are all great cooks. When I was younger, the big family gathering usually involves a pot luck with everyone chipping in, but my Mom’s food invariable ends up being the best! So, you can imagine how miserable I was when I went to the United States for college, and then grad school too. With Mom thousands of miles away and having no access to Indonesian food, let alone Chinese Indonesian food the way my Mom prepares it finally pushed me to start cooking.
Looking back, you wouldn’t really want to taste some of my first attempts, especially in the first year, even I wouldn’t want to taste it now. But, I am getting much better since then, even Mom agrees, and that is the biggest compliment I will ever get! I believe I have learned some valuable lessons along the way, and this is my way of sharing all those hard earned lessons with the world. I hope you will give the recipes a try and I am always happy to receive any comment or feed back you may have.
All my photos are taken with Canon EOS Rebel XSi with its kits lens, a really basic DSLR. I am proud to say that some of my photos have been accepted in the following sites:
- BuzzFeed mentioned my lapis legit recipe - January 2017
- BuzzFeed mentioned my upside down pineapple cake in rice cooker recipe - August 2016
- BuzzFeed mentioned my Thai pan fried basil chicken recipe - April 2016
- The Huffington Post Canada mentioned my hot and sour fish soup recipe - February 2016
- The Huffington Post Canada mentioned my red bean, lotus seed, and lily bulb sweet soup recipe - January 2016
- BuzzFeed mentioned my upside down pineapple cake in rice cooker recipe - October 2015
- BuzzFeed mentioned my honey glazed upside down apple cake in rice cooker recipe - October 2015
- The Huffington Post Canada mentioned my pineapple jam recipe - August 2015
- Brit + Co. mentioned my honey glazed upside down apple cake in rice cooker recipe - June 2015
- BuzzFeed mentioned my sambal cabe rawit Aceh (Acehnese bird eye chili sauce) recipe - June 2015
- The Cheat Sheet mentioned my Japanese chicken curry with homemade curry roux recipe - March 2015
- Brit + Co. mentioned my edamame milk recipe - March 2015
- The Huffington Post Canada mentioned my tofu and mushroom soup recipe - March 2015
- BuzzFeed mentioned my bak kut teh (pork ribs in spices and herbal soup) recipe - January 2015
- eHow mentioned my five spice chicken in rice cooker recipe - November 2014
- The Cheat Sheet mentioned my Thai stir fry chicken with basil and chili recipe - September 2014
- Brit + Co. mentioned my mango and orange punch recipe - July 2014
- Cool Material mentioned my sambal tauco recipe - May 2014
- Brit + Co. mentioned my chives pancake recipe - April 2014
- Brit + Co. mentioned my chicken porridge recipe - March 2014
- The Kitchn mentioned my green bean and minced beef stir fry recipe - January 2014
- The Weekend Edition mentioned my pork belly and snake bean in black bean sauce recipe - January 2014
- The Kitchn mentioned my ayam tinoransak (Manado spicy braised chicken) recipe - January 2014
- Boston Magazine mentioned my tofu and ground pork in black bean sauce recipe - December 2013
- Fine Dining Lovers mentioned my ichigo daifuku (strawberry and red bean mochi) recipe - December 2013
Aside from Daily Cooking Quest, I also have a vegetarian focused food blog on V for Veggy. If you are interested to learn about starting a blog, I wrote a quick tutorial on getting your own hosting and domain, installing WordPress, and getting a theme. These are basically the three big steps that most bloggers will have to go through to set up and run a professional (and proper!) blog, so I am pretty sure the article is a useful reference if you want to start blogging.