Acar, also known as Indonesian raw vegetable pickle, is a very popular accompaniment in many of Indonesian dishes, such as nasi goreng (fried rice), sate, and almost all varieties of soto. It is very easy to prepare at home, the key to a successful acar is to use the freshest ingredients possible.
Acar - Indonesian Pickle
- 2 small cucumber, remove the seeds and cut into cubes
- 2 small carrot, peeled and cut into cubes
- 25 Thai chili, remove the stems
- 15 shallot, peeled and half each shallot
- 500 ml water
- 150 gram sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon vinegar
- Wash and drain cucumber, carrot, chili, and shallot. The total amount of vegetable should come to about 2 cups.
- Place chopped vegetables in a mixing bowl and sprinkle with salt to make them crispier. Wash and strain after 5 minutes. Set aside.
- To prepare the pickling liquid, bring water, sugar, salt, and vinegar to a boil in a sauce pot. Remove from heat when all sugar has dissolved.
- Add the vegetables into the pickling liquid and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Transfer to glass jars and let them rest for at least 1 hour before the acar is ready to be enjoyed. Store the jars of pickles in refrigerator, it should keep fresh for up to 2 weeks.