Unlike your typical acar, this acar kuning is more like a side dish rather than a condiment or relish. This dish is actually pretty filling, and if you are a vegetarian, a solid meal can be had with just this and a bowl of steamed white rice. You can use other vegetables not specified in the recipe, just make sure that they all need about the same cooking time to reach the same level of crisp and crunch, yet still tender and totally cooked. In fact, it wouldn’t be too far fetch to use the sauce as a salad dressing when you prepare your next salad. ♥
Acar Kuning - Pickled Vegetables in Peanut Chili Sauce
- 250 gram carrot, peeled
- 250 gram young small corn (Indonesian: jagung muda)
- 250 gram green bean (Indonesian: buncis)
- 250 gram cucumber (Indonesian: peeled and seeded)
- 6 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 6 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 2 cup water
- 200 gram peanut, deep fried and ground
- Spice paste
- 10 red chilies (Indonesian: cabe merah keriting)
- 5 candlenuts (Indonesian: kemiri)
- Cut carrot, corn, green bean, and cucumber into roughly the same bite size pieces.
- Place cucumber in a bowl and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon each of sugar and salt. Set aside for 15 minutes, squeeze the liquid, set aside.
- Heat oil in a wok on high heat and saute spice paste until fragrant and oil looks separated at the edges, about 5 minutes.
- Add all the vegetables and toss to mix well.
- Season with salt and sugar and mix well.
- Add the vinegar and pour the water. Bring to a boil and cook for another 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add ground peanut into the wok and stir. The peanut will absorb all the liquid and the end result should not be watery. Turn off heat and serve immediately or at room temperature.
- The prep time and cook time includes time to deep fry your own peanut. If you buy packaged fried/roasted peanut, you should be able to save roughly 10 minutes of deep frying.