Learn how to make your own traditional Indonesian agar srikaya with coconut milk, coconut palm sugar, and agar powder. Vegan friendly and gluten-free.
Today is independence day and for this special occasion, let’s make something really traditional, palm sugar and coconut milk pudding, a classic Indonesian dessert. The sweetness of palm sugar is matched perfectly with the creaminess of coconut milk, making agar srikaya a truly delightful pudding. What I love most beside the marvelous taste is how the end result looks. The cream from coconut milk will try to separate from the liquid and this creates a marble effect, almost like a translucent piece of granite, so… pretty. ♥
Agar Srikaya - Palm Sugar and Coconut Milk Pudding
- 250 ml coconut milk (Indonesian: santan)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 150 gram palm sugar (Indonesian: gula Jawa)
- 750 ml water
- 1 packet of agar powder (7 gram), I use Swallow brand plain agar powder
- Add salt to coconut milk and stir to mix. Set aside.
- In a pot, boil palm sugar and 250 ml water until the sugar is fully dissolved. Strain and set aside.
- In another pot, boil the rest of the water (500 ml) and the agar powder. Keep stirring until agar powder has fully dissolved. Pour palm sugar syrup into the pot and cook for another 5 minutes and keep stirring.
- Turn off heat, stir in the coconut milk and mix well.
- Strain into molds and let set for 2 hours. Refrigerate and serve cold.