Ayam cabai hijau is an easy sweet an spicy chicken recipe. I used cabe besar hijau (jalapeno chilies, or you can use anaheim chilies too) for this, which to Indonesian is not spicy at all :) For lovers of all thing spicy, try adding some cabe rawit (bird eye chilies) to suit your preference.
Ayam Cabai Hijau - Chicken with Jalapeno Chilies
Categories: Main Dish
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 35 mins
Total Time: 50 mins
- 3 tablespoon oil
- 100 gram shallot, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 1/2 kilogram of chicken (about 8 pieces bone-in chicken)
- 1 inch galangal (Indonesian: lengkuas), bruised
- 1 inch ginger (Indonesian: jahe), bruised
- 2 bay leaves (Indonesian: daun salam)
- 1 tablespoon palm sugar (Indonesian: gula Jawa)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon tamarind + 2 tablespoon water, remove pits and pulps
- 3 tablespoon sweet soy sauce (Indonesian: kecap manis)
- 1 liter (4 cups) water
- 15-20 green jalapeno chilies (Indonesian: cabe hijau besar), julienned
- Heat oil in a wok and sauté shallot and garlic until fragrant, about 3 minutes.
- Add chicken and stir until the surface starts to change color.
- Add galangal, ginger, bay leaves, palm sugar, salt, tamarind solution, sweet soy sauce, and water.
- Bring to a boil, then cover the wok, lower the heat, and simmer until the chicken are fully cooked and the sauce has somewhat reduced.
- Remove the lid, add jalapeno chilies and cook until the chilies start to wilt.
- Turn off heat, transfer to a serving bowl, and serve with steamed white rice.