Indonesian fried chicken usually do not have crispy battered skins like the western ones (read KFC, lol). But we do have a knack for making kremes (crispy spiced flakes) by mixing the cooking liquid with flour and fry this batter in hot oil to produce fluffy crispy spiced flakes, lovingly called kremes, literally means crunchy in Indonesian. Be warned that it kinda splatter a bit when you pour the batter, so do be careful, but it quickly dies down in 5 seconds or so and after another couple of minutes of frying, the resulting crispy spiced flakes that greet you is worthy of the extra effort. ♥
Ayam Goreng Kremes - Fried Chicken with Crispy Spiced Flakes
5.0 from 1 reviews
Author: Anita Jacobson
Categories: Main Dish
Prep Time: 30 mins
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour 30 mins
- 1 chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 10 bay leaves (Indonesian: daun salam)
- 2 tablespoon coriander powder (Indonesian: bubuk ketumbar)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 300 ml water
- 2 tablespoon all purpose flour (Indonesian: tepung terigu)
- 2 tablespoon rice flour (Indonesian: tepung beras)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- oil for deep frying
- Grind the following into spice paste
- 8 shallots (Indonesian: bawang merah)
- 8 cloves garlic (Indonesian: bawang putih)
- 5 candlenuts (Indonesian: kemiri)
- steamed white rice
- sambal terasi (or chili sauce of your choice)
- Place chicken pieces, spice paste, bay leaves, coriander, salt, sugar, and water in a pot. Mix well and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove chicken from the pot and set aside.
- Strain the cooking liquid, mix this liquid with all purpose flour, rice flour, and baking powder. Mix well into a thin batter and set aside.
- Deep fry chicken in hot oil until crispy and golden brown. Remove and drain on wire rack or paper towel.
- Pour the thin batter in thin streams into the hot oil (be careful since it tends to splatter at the beginning). Once the batter is crispy and golden brown, about 1 to 2 minutes, scoop it up and drain on wire rack or paper towel.
- Serve the chicken along with the crispy spiced flakes (kremes) with steamed white rice accompanied with sambal terasi or any chili sauce of your choice.