We have many many dishes cooked in coconut milk along with a really long list of spices. It is no wonder people tend to say our food is spicy, but that is exactly how we like our food. If it is not spicy, or hot (as in with plenty of chilies so one sweats like crazy while eating), something is not right with the food, hehe. :D
Chicken tends to be bland, so I really like cooking them like this. The chicken is going to be extra creamy and flavorful, just perfect with a bowl of steaming white rice, and maybe a cold sweetened ice tea. ♥
Ayam Masak Rempah dan Santan - Chicken Braised in Spices and Coconut Milk
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 1 bay leaf (Indonesian: daun salam)
- 1 lemongrass (Indonesian: sereh), bruised and chopped
- 1 chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 500 ml coconut milk
- 2 tablespoon sweet soy sauce (Indonesian: kecap manis)
- Grind the following into spice paste
- 10 red chilies (Indonesian: cabe merah keriting)
- 8 shallots (Indonesian: bawang merah)
- 3 cloves garlic (Indonesian: bawang putih)
- 1 medium size tomato
- 1 inch ginger (Indonesian: jahe)
- 1 inch galangal (Indonesian: lengkuas)
- 1 teaspoon shrimp paste (Indonesian: terasi)
- Heat oil on high heat and fry the spice paste, bay leaf, and lemongrass until fragrant, about 3 minutes.
- Add chicken to the pot and stir until no longer pink.
- Season with salt and pour the coconut milk into the pot. Bring to a boil and cook until the liquid has reduced somewhat and the chicken is cooked and tender, about 30 minutes.
- Add sweet soy sauce and give it a stir so it is properly mixed with the sauce. Taste test and adjust with salt as needed.
- Turn off heat and serve immediately with steamed white rice.