It’s grill time people! Or, for an even easier option, use the oven to make this super delicious ayam percik Malaysia (Malaysian grilled chicken in spices). This is one of the chicken dishes from Malaysia that I still crave from time to time. Fortunately, it is so easy to prepare, and if you are going to cook them in your oven, even easier. Of course, if you want the full treatment, grilling these can’t be beaten, and your neighbors are all going to be so jealous, or maybe expect them to knock on your door :D
Ayam Percik Malaysia - Malaysian Grilled Chicken in Spices (Baked Version)
Categories: Main Dish
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 50 mins
Total Time: 1 hour 10 mins
- 8 chicken drumsticks (or other parts of your choice)
- 50 gram tamarind + 1/4 cup water, mix well and strained
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- Grind the following into spice paste
- 100 gram shallot
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 inch ginger
- 1 lemongrass, white part only
- 8 red cayenne chilies (Indonesian: cabe merah keriting)
- Marinate chicken with spice paste and the rest of the ingredients in a mixing bowl. Wrap with a saran plastic and refrigerate overnight.
- Return the chicken to room temperature, line a baking tray with parchment paper, and preheat oven to 180 Celcius (350 Fahrenheit).
- Transfer chicken to prepared baking tray and bake until cooked through and golden brown, about 45 minutes to 50 minutes, flip once or twice during the cooking time (at around 20 minutes and 35 minutes into the cooking time should do nicely).