Ayam rica-rica is a specialty from the city of Manado in Indonesia North Sulawesi. Rica means chili in North Sulawesi language, so ayam rica-rica translates to chicken with chili sauce. My family cannot tolerate dishes that are too spicy, so I usually omit the Thai chili since the red chili gives enough spiciness level that is right for us. You can be bold and use the requisite Thai chili, or perhaps just add a couple in your ayam rica-rica.
Ayam Rica Rica
Categories: Main Dish
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 30 mins
Total Time: 45 mins
- 1 chicken (about 1 kilogram), cut into 8 pieces
- 3 lemon grass, bruised
- 5 kaffir lime leaf
- 3 kaffir lime
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- Grind the following into spice paste
- 10 red chili, seeded
- 10 Thai chili, seeded (optional, or use according to the level of spiciness you can tolerate)
- 10 shallot
- 6 cloves garlic
- 2 inches ginger
- Heat 5 tablespoon of cooking oil in a frying pan, stir fry the spice paste until fragrant, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add lemon grass, kaffir lime leaf, juice of kaffir lime, salt, and sugar and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add chicken pieces and mix well. Cover the pan with a lid and let cook undisturbed for 20 minutes on medium heat, or until chicken is fully cooked and tender. Serve with a bowl of steaming white rice.