If you like crispy and crunchy fritters, then you are going to love these bakwan jagung (Indonesian corn fritters). This popular Indonesian snack happens to be a quick and easy treat that you will want to make again and again.
If I must pick two of the most popular side dishes/savory treats that seems to be sold everywhere in Indonesia, then I will have to settle for perkedel kentang (potato fritters) and followed closely by bakwan jagung (corn fritters). Both are delicious and the smell of these can make you feel hungry instantly even after a full course meal. If you like this bakwan jagung recipe, you may want to give my bakwan sayur (vegetables fritters) recipe a try.
This will feed a crowd
Be warned that following this recipe will net you a lot of fritters, enough to feed a horde of hungry guests, but maybe too much if you are cooking for two or even four, so go ahead and half the ingredients as you wish :)
Play around with your bakwan ingredients
There are other varieties of bakwan that you can make with this basic recipe. Just substitute corn with the same amount of other vegetables (or mixed vegetables) of your choice. Popular ingredients include shredded cabbage, carrot julienne, green bean julienne, mung beans sprouts, thinly sliced blanched cauliflower/broccoli, and even roughly chopped shrimp just to name a few.
Bakwan Jagung - Corn Fritter
5.0 from 8 reviews
Author: Anita Jacobson
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 45 mins
Total Time: 1 hour
Serves: 40 fritters
- 3 ears fresh corn
- 150 gram all purpose flour
- 75 gram rice flour
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 2 stalks scallion, thinly sliced
- 3 eggs
- 125 gram shallots (~ 10 Indonesian sized, or ~ 3 US sized), minced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 300 ml ice cold water
- enough oil for deep frying
- Stand each ear of corn up in a bowl and use a knife to scrape off the kernels. Throw away the cobs.
- Add the rest of the ingredients except the oil and mix well into a thick batter.
- Heat oil to 170 Celcius (340 Fahrenheit) for deep frying.
- Using a laddle, drop spoonful of batter into the hot oil and fry until batter turns golden brown, about 2-3 minutes each side. Drain and cool on a wiring rack. Repeat until all batter has been used up. Serve hot with tomato sauce and chili sauce.