This carrot and beet ribbons salad is super colorful, and you will want the lovely ginger lime honey mustard salad dressing to go with all kinds of salad.
This recipe for beet, carrot, and ginger salad is my submission to the Healthy Cooking Challenge hosted by Facebook group Berbagi Resep Masakan. The theme is Masakan Serba Umbi-Umbian, which means the recipe needs to showcase tubers in a fun and healthy meal. Some of the tubers suggested by the host include: cassava, sweet potato, potato, taro, beet, carrot, and daikon.
I thought it would be exciting to pick a couple of ingredients from the suggested list and make a super healthy and yummy salad out of it. Beet and carrot seems to be two of the healthiest among the bunch, so I go with those as my main ingredients. To perk things up, I add shallot, raisin, grated ginger, and chopped lemon basil leaves. After sprinkle the salad with some salt and pepper, I make a super simple dressing by mixing olive oil, lime juice, honey, and mustard. The salad turns out to be super refreshing and so flavorful, and knowing that this packs a lot of vitamins and minerals doesn’t hurt one bit, right? ♥
Beet, Carrot, and Ginger Salad
- 250 gram carrot (Indonesian: wortel), peeled and slice into thin ribbons (I use a peeler)
- 250 gram beet (Indonesian: bit), peeled and slice into thin ribbons (I use a peeler)
- 8 shallots (Indonesian: bawang merah), peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoon raisin (Indonesian: kismis)
- salt (Indonesian: garam), about 1 teaspoon (or to taste)
- pepper (Indonesian: merica), about 1/2 teaspoon (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (Indonesian: minyak zaitun)
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger (Indonesian: jahe)
- 2 tablespoon lime juice (Indonesian: jeruk nipis)
- 2 teaspoon honey (Indonesian: madu)
- 2 teaspoon mustard
- 1/2 cup chopped lemon basil (Indonesian: daun kemangi)
- Place carrot ribbons, beet ribbons, sliced shallots, and raisins in a mixing bowl.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add olive oil, grated ginger, lime juice, honey, and mustard. Toss and adjust the taste as needed.
- Toss in the chopped lemon basil and serve immediately.