Not many people like bitter melon, so maybe I am a bit of a freak for loving this just a tad too much? :D Whether it is part of a siomay, or stuffed with ground pork, or just a simple and quick stir fry like this, I just cannot get enough of bitter melon, not sure why since I know that lots of people actually hate eating this melon. I think a big part of the reason is due to the bitterness of this melon, which you can actually reduce by sprinkling salt, massage the salt into the melon, let rest for 15 minutes, then wash and drain to remove all the salt and most of the bitterness along with it. So, do give it another try okay? ♥
Bitter Melon and Egg Stir Fry in Black Bean Sauce
- 1 bitter melon (Indonesian: pare), about 200 gram
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 3 cloves garlic (Indonesian: bawang putih), minced
- 1 tablespoon black bean garlic sauce
- Prepare the bitter melon by first cut the melon in half lengthwise. With a spoon, scoop out the seeds. The, cut into thin 1 cm slices.
- To remove the bitterness, place the melon slices in a mixing bowl, and sprinkle with 2 to 3 tablespoon of salt, then massage the salt gently in to the melon. Let rest for 15 minutes, then wash and drain to remove the salt and bitterness.
- In another bowl, lightly beat eggs and the 1/2 teaspoon of salt together. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a frying pan on high heat, sauté garlic until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add the black bean sauce, mix well, and cook for another 1 minute.
- Add the bitter melons into the pan, mix well, cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Then pour the eggs into the pan. Once the eggs start to become less runny, give it a quick stir. And once the eggs set, turn off heat and serve immediately.