(黑芝麻糊)Black sesame soup sweet soup is one of Chinese dessert that falls into the category of sweet soup (糖水). The dark black thick soup might throw off the uninitiated, but worry not, since a sip of this hot soup in winter time will definitely cheer one up :) Unlike many other sweet soup, black sesame soup is actually one of the more readily available in instant powder form, usually sold in cans (as in coffee cans size), and those are super easy to make since you only need to add hot water to mix and that’s it. But, if you want to make this at home, this recipe is simple enough and you can adjust the amount of sugar to your liking.
There are only a handful of ingredients needed to make this sweet soup: black sesame seeds, glutinous rice flour, and rock sugar. In my experience, the easiest and cheapest way to get some black sesame seeds is from Asian grocery stores, especially Chinese or Korean ones, since they usually sold sesame seeds (both white and black) in huge quantity. Or, just grab some from Amazon, since nowadays you can grab one or two pound bag of these for a pretty good deal.
黑芝麻糊 - Black Sesame Soup
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 5 mins
Total Time: 20 mins
- 150 gram black sesame seeds, toasted
- 125 gram glutinous rice flour, toasted
- 125 gram rock sugar
- 6 cups water
- (Optional step) If you cannot find toasted black sesame seeds, place them in a frying pan and heat on medium heat until the seeds start to jump, like popcorn.
- Grind toasted black sesame seeds into powder.
- To toast glutinous rice flour, place them in a frying pan and heat on medium heat until slightly browned, stir every so often.
- Boil 6 cups of water in a sauce pot, then add ground black sesame seeds, toasted glutinous rice flour, and rock sugar. Turn the fire to low and stir well until all the sugar has melted, then turn off heat. If there are still clumps after all the sugar has melted, you can use immersion blender (or regular blender) to puree the soup into a super smooth texture. Serve hot.