For tonight's side dish, why not stir-fry some Brussels sprouts in a cast-iron skillet with garlic and olive oil for a quick and easy 15-minutes meal.
Today I have a super easy and delicious side dish for you, brussels sprouts and garlic stir fry. Brussels sprouts look like miniature cabbage, and the taste is very similar to cabbage as well. They grow in a stalk, and sometime if I visit farmers market, I can find some sellers selling them in stalks! But sadly most of the time, they are sold in a bag and no stalk, but I still find them very cute :)
I have tried many brussels sprouts recipes, but I think a simple stir fry like this is easy and very delicious. You can use olive oil or butter for this, so it totally depends on you. Obviously if you are vegan, you will stick to olive oil, but for others, experiment and see which one you like best. I love the garlicky smell, but I find that if I use minced garlic, the burnt garlic smell overpowers the brussels sprouts, so I like it better if I just use whole garlics and slightly bruised them.
Brussels Sprouts and Garlic Stir Fry
- 2 tablespoon olive oil/butter
- 2 cloves garlic, whole but slightly bruised
- 2 cups brussels sprouts (about 20), cut into halves
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- Heat olive oil/butter in a frying pan/cast iron skillet on medium heat. Sauté garlic until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Add brussels sprouts, cut side down. Cover the pan/skillet and cook for 2 minutes.
- Remove the cover, flip the sprouts so the cut side is up. The cut side should be brown and crispy by now. Reduce heat to medium low. Cover the pan/skillet again and cook for 3 minutes.
- Turn off the heat. Season with salt and pepper, toss to mix well. Transfer to a serving plate and serve immediately.