Do you know that glutinous rice is sold in powder form? The white glutinous rice is what we commonly use for making Japanese mochi or Chinese tang yuan, but the black glutinous rice powder is not as commonly used as its white counterpart. In Indonesia, the black powder is used mainly for making cakes or brownies, the texture is denser then cakes made with all purpose or cake flour, but it is still a cake nonetheless, and one can most definitely smell the black glutinous rice aroma, which if you love eating black glutinous rice, you will definitely like this cake. ♥ I learn this recipe from my blogger friend, Ummu Fatima. If you understand Indonesian, you should check out her blog. Hers is a steamed version, I modified it to work for a rice cooker. :)
Cake Ketan Hitam Rice Cooker - Black Glutinous Rice Cake in Rice Cooker
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour 20 mins
- 4 eggs
- 110 gram sugar
- 125 gram black glutinous rice powder (Indonesian: tepung beras ketan hitam)
- 110 ml canola oil
- 1 rice cooker (mine is a basic 10 cup capacity rice cooker with teflon coating pot)
- Beat eggs and sugar in a mixing bowl until pale, thick, fluffy, and about triple in volume, about 5 minutes with electric beater, or 15 minutes if using hand.
- Fold in the glutinous rice powder into the egg mixture until well combine, do not over mixed.
- Pour the canola oil in the batter and mix well, do not over mixed.
- Brush the rice cooker pot with some melted butter or some canola oil, this step helps the finished cake to unmold from the pot. Then pour the batter into the pot.
- Place the rice cooker pot into the rice cooker and press the “cook” button. Once it turns to “warm”, wait for 10 minutes. Repeat the “cook” and “warm” process another 3 times for a total of 4 “cook” and “warm” cycles.
- Open the rice cooker lid, and test if the cake is done by inserting a toothpick into the cake. If the toothpick comes out clean, it is done. If not, repeat the “cook” and “warm” cycle again until the cake is done.
- Remove the rice cooker pot, cover the pot with a plate wider than the pot opening, flip upside down and the cake should drop onto the plate.
- (*) If you don't have a rice cooker, you can pour this into an 18 cm round baking pan and steam for 30 minutes.