Ayam Ungkep - Indonesian Fried Chicken
- 1 chicken (about 1 kg), cut into 8 pieces
- 3 lemongrass, bruised
- 5 kaffir lime leaf
- 500 ml (2 cups) coconut water
- Grind the following into spice paste
- 100 gram shallot
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 inch ginger
- 1 inch galangal
- 1 tablespoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Place chicken, lemongrass, kaffir lime leaf, spice paste, and coconut water into a pot. Bring to a boil. Cover the pot and simmer for 30 minutes until chicken pieces are well cooked. Drain the chicken pieces so they are dry to prepare for deep frying.
- [Make aheead]: If you want to store the chicken and serve them some other time, store them now. They keep well for several days in the fridge or can be frozen for up to 1 month. If frozen, please thaw the chicken first before deep frying.
- [Save the broth]: You can strain the braising broth and serve it with bubur ayam (chicken congee).
- Heat enough oil in a pot for deep frying. Add chicken pieces and fry until the skin is crispy and golden brown, about 3 minutes is enough since the chicken is already cooked.
Another great recipe by https://dailycookingquest.com.