Okra and Shrimp Stir-Fry with Chili Sauce
- 250 gram okra
- 20 medium-size shrimps
- 1 teaspoon shrimp paste (Indonesian: terasi)
- 3 tablespoon oil
- 1 red chili (fresno or bird-eye), thinly slice at an angle
- 4 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Grind into spice paste
- 5 cloves garlic
- 3-5 red chilies (fresno or bird-eye)
- Prep work: Cut the okra into 1-inch pieces. Devein and remove the shells (tails intact) from the shrimps. Toast the shrimp paste (optional step). Slice 1 red chili. Grind cloves of garlic and the remaining red chilies into a paste.
- Fry the aromatics: Heat the oil in a frying pan over high heat. Sauté the chili paste and the toasted shrimp paste for 2-3 minutes or until fragrant.
- Add okra: Add the okra and water to the pan. Stir to coat the okras with the sauce, and let it cook for 2 minutes.
- Add shrimps: Add shrimps, sliced chilies, salt, and sugar. Toss to cook the shrimps and quickly turn off the heat once the shrimps have changed color.
Note: Stop cooking once the shrimps change color and curl into letter C’s. If the shrimps make letter O’s instead, you have overcooked them. Overcooked shrimps are tough and rubbery.
- Serve: Transfer the dish to a serving platter, and ideally, serve the dish immediately with some steamed white rice.
Another great recipe by https://dailycookingquest.com.