Sambal Goreng Hati - Liver with Chili Sauce
- 500 gram chicken/beef liver
- 2 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 100 ml coconut milk
- 3 tablespoon sweet soy sauce (Indonesian: kecap manis)
- 2 tablespoon tomato ketchup
- 30 gram (~ 2 tablespoon) palm sugar or coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon thick tamarind juice (10 gram tamarind pulp + 1 tablespoon warm water)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Grind the following into chili paste
- 4 cloves garlic
- 100 gram shallots
- 1 inch galangal
- 5 fresno chilies (Indonesian: cabe merah keriting)
- Grind the chili paste: Grind garlic, shallot, galangal, and red chili into a smooth paste.
- Blanch and sauté the liver: Chop liver into 1-inch bite-size pieces. Boil a pot of water and blanch the liver for 30 seconds or until the color changes. Drain the liver and set aside.
- Fry chili paste: Heat two tablespoons of oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Sauté chili paste and ground coriander for 3-5 minutes or until fragrant.
- Make the sauce: Add coconut milk, sweet soy sauce, tamarind, ketchup, palm sugar, and salt. Mix well and bring to a boil.
- Add liver: Return sautéed liver to the pan and mix well. Reduce the heat to a simmer and continue cooking for 10 minutes or until the sauce reduces and becomes thick.
- Serve: Turn off the heat and transfer to a serving plate. Garnish with thinly sliced red chilies. Serve it immediately with steamed white rice.
Another great recipe by https://dailycookingquest.com.