Sweet and Sour Chicken
- 450 gram (1 lb.) skinless boneless chicken thigh/breast, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 tablespoon Shaoxing wine
- 2 cloves garlic (Indonesian: bawang putih), minced
- 1 bell pepper (any color), seeded and cut into 1-inch squares, about 150 gram
- 1 small pineapple (Indonesian: nenas), cut into bite-size pieces, about 150 gram
- 2 scallions (Indonesian: daun bawang), cut into 1-inch sections
- Deep-frying batter
- 4 tablespoon all-purpose flour (Indonesian: tepung terigu)
- 4 tablespoon cornstarch (Indonesian: tepung maizena)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda (Indonesian: soda kue)
- 1/2 cup water
- Sweet and sour sauce
- 3 tablespoon tomato ketchup (Indonesian: saus tomat)
- 3 tablespoon chili sauce. You can use sambal oelek, sriracha, or your favorite Asian bottled chili sauce.
- 3 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon plum sauce (Indonesian: saus plum). You can also use apricot jam or marmalade.
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce (Indonesian: kecap Inggris)
- 1/2 teaspoon rice vinegar (Indonesian: cuka beras)
- 1/2 teaspoon oyster sauce (Indonesian: saus tiram)
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch (Indonesian: tepung maizena)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper (Indonesian: bubuk lada putih)
- Marinate chicken breast cubes with Shaoxing wine for 10 minutes.
- Mix batter ingredients in a mixing bowl and set aside.
- Mix all sweet and sour sauce ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
- Prepare enough hot oil for deep frying. Add chicken cubes into the batter, then deep fry until golden brown, set aside on a wire rack or paper towel to remove excess oil.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a wok/frying pan. Sauté garlic until fragrant, then add green bell pepper and pineapple and stir fry until fragrant.
- Pour the sweet and sour sauce into the pan, stir to mix well, and bring to a boil. Return the fried chicken along with chopped scallions into the pan, toss gently so the sauce fully coats all the chicken pieces. Turn off heat, transfer to a serving plate, and serve immediately.
Another great recipe by https://dailycookingquest.com.