Telur Bumbu Bali - Eggs in Balinese Sauce
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 lemongrass, bruised and knotted
- 3 kaffir lime leaves
- 3 Indonesian bay leaves (Indonesian: daun salam)
- 2 tablespoons tamarind juice (2 teaspoons tamarind + 2 tablespoons water)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons palm sugar
- 12 hard-boiled eggs, peeled
- 3 tablespoons sweet soy sauce (Indonesian: kecap manis)
- Spice paste (grind the following ingredients)
- 125 grams shallots
- 4-8 red bird-eye chilies
- 4-8 red Fresno/cayenne chilies, or 2 teaspoons cayenne/chili powder
- 4 cloves garlic
- 6 candlenuts (Note 1)
- 1 inch ginger
- 1 inch galangal
- 1 teaspoon shrimp paste (Indonesian: terasi), toasted (Note 2)
- Heat oil in a wok and sauté spice paste, lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves, and Indonesian bay leaves for 3 minutes or until fragrant.
- Add tamarind juice, salt, and palm sugar. Mix well.
- Add hard-boiled eggs and sweet soy sauce, mix well, and cook for 1 minute or until the liquid is thick and coats the eggs.
- Turn off the heat, and discard the lemongrass, bay leaves, and kaffir lime leaves.
- Transfer the eggs to a serving plate and serve with steamed white rice.
- (1) Substitute candlenuts with macadamia nuts.
- (2) The easiest way to toast the shrimp paste is by cooking for 30 seconds in the microwave.
Another great recipe by https://dailycookingquest.com.