Almond Bread Rolls
- Bread dough
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 50 gram (1/4 cup) sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 7 gram (1 packet, or 2 1/4 teaspoon) active dry yeast
- 1 egg
- 360 gram (3 cups) all-purpose flour
- Almond filling
- 1 egg white
- 75 gram (~ 6 tablespoon) sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 120 gram roasted almond, ground into coarse powder (~ 1 1/2 cup powder)
- 10 gram (4 teaspoon) all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract
- 2-3 teaspoon milk
- Egg wash
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 teaspoon water
- For the bread dough: Place butter, salt, and sugar in a mixing bowl. Simmer milk in stovetop or microwave, then pour over the ingredients in the bowl. Wait until cool (~ 38 Celsius/100 Fahrenheit), then stir in yeast and egg. Add all purpose flour, mix, and knead for about 10 minutes by hand (~ 7 minutes with an electric mixer). Cover the bowl with a wet kitchen towel/saran plastic and set aside until the volume is doubled, about 1 hour.
- For the almond filling: Whisk together egg white, sugar, and salt. Add ground almond and all-purpose flour, mix well. Add melted butter, almond extract, and milk. Stir into peanut butter consistency, add a bit more milk if the mixture is too thick. Set aside.
- To assemble: Roll the dough on a well-floured surface into a 20"x12" rectangle. Spread almond filling, leaving 1" of the edges clean. Roll into a log on the long edge.
- To shape the bread: Cut the log into 8 equal pieces. Take each piece, cut into two but not all the way through, and spread it open. Arrange on a well greased (or lined with a parchment paper) half-sheet pan. Cover and let the bread rise for a second time until puffy, about 45 minutes.
- To bake: Preheat oven to 180 Celsius (350 Fahrenheit). Make egg wash by mixing together the egg yolk with the 2 teaspoon water, then brush the bread all over with the egg wash. Bake for about 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown.
Another great recipe by https://dailycookingquest.com.