Asem-Asem Terong - Sour and Spicy Eggplant Stew
- 5 cups water
- 5 shallots (Indonesian: bawang merah), thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic (Indonesian: bawang putih), thinly sliced
- 4 red anaheim chili peppers (Indonesian: cabe merah besar), cut each to 4 long slices
- 3 medium size eggplants (Indonesian: terong ungu), cut into bite size pieces
- 1 tablespoon tamarind juice (1 teaspoon tamarind pulp + 1 tablespoon water)
- 2 tomatoes, cut into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon palm sugar (Indonesian: gula Jawa), or to taste
- 1/2 tablespoon salt, or to taste
- 1 scallion (Indonesian: daun bawang), thinly sliced, about 3 tablespoon
- 1 small bunch Chinese celery (Indonesian: daun seledri), thinly sliced, about 3 tablespoon
- Bring water, shallot, garlic, and chili pepper to a boil in a soup pot.
- Add eggplants and tamarind juice and bring to another boil.
- Add tomatoes, and season with palm sugar and salt. Adjust seasoning as needed.
- Once it boils again, turn off heat. Add the thinly sliced scallion and Chinese celery, stir well. Serve immediately.
Another great recipe by https://dailycookingquest.com.