Ayam Bakar Padang - Padang Broiled Chicken
- 2 chicken, each cut into 8 pieces (I used 16 drumsticks)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- juice of 1 lime
- 3 tablespoon oil
- 3 bay leaves (Indonesian: daun salam)
- 5 kaffir lime leaves (Indonesian: daun jeruk)
- 400 ml coconut milk (Indonesian: santan)
- Grind the following into spice paste
- 100 gram shallot (Indonesian: bawang merah)
- 4 cloves garlic (Indonesian: bawang putih)
- 5-10 red cayenne chilies (Indonesian: cabe keriting merah)
- 2 inch ginger (Indonesian: jahe)
- 2 inch galangal (Indonesian: lengkuas)
- 1 inch turmeric (Indonesian: kunyit)
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed (Indonesian: adas manis)
- 1 lemongrass (Indonesian: sereh)
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- In a mixing bowl, rub chicken with salt and lime juice. Set aside for 30 minutes, then rinse and dry.
- Heat oil and sauté spice paste until fragrant, about 3 minutes.
- Add bay leaves, kaffir lime leaves, coconut milk, and the chicken. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat, and simmer until the chicken are fully cooked and the sauce is slightly reduced.
- Turn off heat, strain the chicken, and set aside the sauce for basting.
- Preheat oven broiler to high for 3 minutes.
- Line a baking tray with aluminum foil.
- Transfer chicken to prepared tray and broil until the surface has charred, about 3-5 minutes each side. Baste the chicken with the sauce as needed.
- Serve immediately.
Another great recipe by https://dailycookingquest.com.