Ayam Bakar Semur - Broiled Chicken in Nutmeg and Sweet Soy Sauce
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 2 Indonesian bay leaves (Indonesian: daun salam)
- 2 whole cloves (Indonesian: cengkeh)
- 1 cinnamon stick (Indonesian: kayu manis)
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin (Indonesian: jintan)
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg (Indonesian: pala)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper (Indonesian: merica)
- 10-12 pieces of chicken drumsticks and/or thighs
- 1 tomato (60 gram / 2 oz), cut into wedges
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoon sweet soy sauce (Indonesian: kecap manis)
- Grind the following into spice paste
- 100 gram shallot (Indonesian: bawang merah)
- 4 cloves garlic (Indonesian: bawang putih)
- 1 inch ginger (Indonesian: jahe)
- 4 candlenuts
- Braise the chicken: Heat oil in a wok over medium heat and sauté spice paste, Indonesian bay leaves, cinnamon, cloves, cumin, nutmeg, and white pepper until fragrant, about 5 minutes.
- Add chicken pieces and fry until no longer pink. Then, add tomatoes and stir until they start to wilt.
- Stir in salt, Indonesian sweet soy sauce, and salt. Once it boils, reduce the heat to a simmer and cook until the chicken is cook and tender, about 30 minutes.
- Basting sauce: Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil, remove the chicken from the wok and arrange them on the prepared baking sheet.
- Turn the heat to medium-high and continue cooking the sauce until it thickens into a basting sauce consistency. It should look like a barbeque sauce. Turn off the heat, and strain to get a smooth sauce.
- Broil the chicken: Preheat the oven broiler.
- Brush the chicken with basting sauce and broil until they are slightly charred. It should take about 4-5 minutes per side.
- Serve: Serve the chicken immediately with steamed white rice and any remaining basting sauce.
Another great recipe by https://dailycookingquest.com.