Ayam Bakar Taliwang - Lombok Grilled Chicken
- 1 kilogram bone-in chicken parts (I use all drumstick)
- juice of 1 lime
- 3 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon palm sugar (Indonesian: gula Jawa) (*)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 400 ml coconut milk (from 1 can of coconut milk)
- 400 ml water
- Spice paste
- 15 red cayenne chilies
- 100 gram shallot (Indonesian: bawang merah)
- 10 cloves garlic
- 5 candlenuts (Indonesian: kemiri) (**)
- 1 tablespoon toasted shrimp paste (Indonesian: terasi bakar) (***)
- Mix together chicken and lime juice, set aside for 30 minutes in the fridge.
- Heat oil in a wok/large frying pan on medium-high. Sauté spice paste until fragrant, about 5 minutes. Add chicken, palm sugar and salt, mix well. Cook until chicken is no longer pink.
- Add coconut milk and water, mix well. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat to a simmer, cook until the sauce has reduced and the chicken is fully cooked and tender, about 45 minutes.
- Set the cooked chicken aside. (If you want to store some of the chicken, store them at this stage)
- Preheat boiler, and line a baking tray with aluminum foil.
- Transfer the chicken to the prepared tray, broil until slightly charred, about 5-8 minutes. Serve hot.
- (*) Can be substituted with brown sugar.
- (**) Can be substituted with macadamia nut.
- (***) Can be substituted with fish sauce, about 2-3 tablespoon.
Another great recipe by https://dailycookingquest.com.