Ayam dan Tahu Bacem - Javanese Deep-Fried Chicken and Tofu
- 1 chicken, cut into 8-12 pieces, or use a mix of drumsticks and thighs
- 1 firm/extra-firm tofu (1 lb/450 gram), cut into 8 pieces
- 3 Indonesian bay leaves (Indonesian: daun salam)
- 75 gram palm sugar (Indonesian: gula Jawa)
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon coriander (Indonesian: bubuk ketumbar)
- 500 ml (2 cup) coconut water
- 500 ml (2 cup) water
- Spice paste
- 150 gram shallots (Indonesian: bawang merah)
- 5 cloves garlic (Indonesian: bawang putih)
- 5 candlenuts (Indonesian: kemiri)
- 1 inch galangal (Indonesian: lengkuas)
- shrimp paste chili sauce (Indonesian: sambal terasi)
- sweet soy sauce (Indonesian: kecap manis)
- lime wedges
- Prepare spice broth: Grind shallots, garlic, candlenuts, and galangal in a food processor into a smooth paste. Transfer spice paste into a soup pot. Add coriander, palm sugar, salt, Indonesian bay leaves, coconut water, and water. Stir to mix.
- Boil chicken and tofu: Add chicken and tofu into the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer, and cook, partially covered with a lid, until the sauce reduces, the chicken and tofu are tender. About 45 minutes.
- Strain chicken and tofu: Strain chicken and tofu until dry to touch before frying.
- Heat oil: Place two to three inches of oil in a pot for deep frying. Heat over medium heat until the oil is hot. If you have a thermometer, wait until the oil reaches 170 Celsius (340 Fahrenheit).
- Fry and drain: Fry chicken and tofu for about 2-3 minutes, or until the surface is golden brown and crispy. Place fried chicken and tofu over a wire rack to remove excess oil.
- Serve: Serve fried chicken and tofu immediately with the accompaniments and steamed white rice.
Another great recipe by https://dailycookingquest.com.