Ayam Kalio Padang - Half Way Chicken Rendang
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 2 lemongrass (Indonesian: sereh), bruised and knotted
- 5 bay leaves (Indonesian: daun salam)
- 5 kaffir lime leaves (Indonesian: daun jeruk)
- 1 chicken, cut into 8 or 12 pieces
- 750 coconut milk (Indonesian: santan)
- 2 asam gelugur (*)
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 tablespoon sugar
- Grind the following into spice paste
- 10 shallots (Indonesian: bawang merah)
- 3 cloves garlic (Indonesian: bawang putih)
- 5 red cayenne peppers (Indonesian: cabe merah keriting)
- 2 red anaheim peppers (Indonesian: cabe merah besar)
- 1 inch ginger (Indonesian: jahe)
- 1 inch galangal (Indonesian: lengkuas)
- 1 turmeric (about 1 inch) (Indonesian: kunyit)
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds (Indonesian: biji ketumbar)
- Heat oil in a pot and sauté spice paste, lemongrass, and kaffir lime leaves until fragrant. About 5 minutes.
- Add chicken pieces and cook until no longer pink.
- Pour coconut milk, add asam gelugur, and season with salt and sugar. Mix well and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered until the sauce is reduced by at least 50%, best if you can wait until only 25% sauce is left.
- Adjust salt and sugar as needed. Turn off heat. Serve with steamed white rice.
- (*) Can be substituted with asam kandis (same amount) or tamarind (10 gram).
Another great recipe by https://dailycookingquest.com.