Ayam Masak Merah - Chicken in Tomato and Spices
- 1 chicken, cut into 8 pieces (or use 8 chicken drumsticks)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 2 lemongrass (Indonesian: sereh), bruised and knotted
- 1 onion, cut into slices
- 4 tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 4 tablespoon tomato ketchup
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon sugar, or to taste
- Grind the following into spice paste
- 1 onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 inch ginger
- 15 dried red chilies
- Rub chicken pieces with salt and turmeric, set aside for 10 minutes.
- Heat oil in a frying pan on medium high, fry chicken until the skin is browned and fully cooked, about 10-15 minutes. Remove the chicken from the pan.
- With the remaining oil on the pan, fry spice paste and lemongrass until fragrant, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add onion slices and tomato wedges. Cook until slightly wilted.
- Return chicken to the pan, season with tomato ketchup, salt, and sugar. Mix well, bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer. Cover the pan and cook for 10 minutes so the chicken can absorb the sauce.
- Turn off heat, adjust salt and sugar as needed. Transfer the chicken to serving plates and serve with steamed white rice.
Another great recipe by https://dailycookingquest.com.