Ayam Prune Pedas - Braised Spicy Chicken with Prunes
- 1 chicken, cut into 8 pieces (I use drumsticks)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 3 tablespoon oil
- 2 star anise
- 2 cloves
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 2 tablespoon curry powder
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 2 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon palm sugar, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/2 cup chopped dried prunes (about 8-10 dried prunes)
- Grind the following into spice paste
- 100 gram shallot
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 inch ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom seed
- 10-15 dried red chilies, soaked until soft
- Marinate chicken with salt and turmeric for 15 minutes.
- Heat oil in a wok/frying pan and pan fry chicken until the skin is golden brown, about 8 minutes. Set aside.
- Fry star anise, cloves, cinnamon stick, and spice paste until fragrant, about 3 minutes.
- Add curry powder, and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Pour water, add oyster sauce, dark soy sauce, palm sugar, and salt. Bring to a boil.
- Return the chicken into the wok/frying pan, mix well, lower the heat to a simmer, cover and cook until the chicken is fully cooked and has absorbed the sauce. About 20 minutes.
- Adjust salt and sugar if needed, then add the chopped prunes and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Turn off heat, transfer to a serving plate, and serve with steamed white rice.
Another great recipe by https://dailycookingquest.com.