Ayam Suwir Saus Empal - Chicken in Spices & Coconut Milk Sauce
- 500 gram (~ 1 lb.) skinless boneless chicken thigh meat
- 3 tablespoon oil
- 2 daun salam (Indonesian bay leaves)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon kecap manis
- 1 teaspoon tamarind liquid (1/2 teaspoon tamarind + 1 teaspoon water, mix, massage, and strain)
- 100 ml (~ 6 1/2 tablespoon) coconut milk
- Spice paste (grind the following together)
- 1/4 red onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 4 candlenuts (or 6-8 macadamia)
- 1/2 inch galangal
- 1 inch ginger
- 1/2 tablespoon coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- Boil 4 cups of water in a pot, then add chicken thigh meat into the boiling water. Reduce to a simmer, and cook for 15-20 minutes, or until the meat is cooked through.
- Remove cooked chicken meat from the hot water, then shred the meat with 2 forks. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium high heat. Sauté spice paste and daun salam until fragrant, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add shredded chicken meat to the frying pan, along with salt, ground pepper, kecap manis, tamarind liquid, and coconut milk. Stir and cook until the sauce is almost dry and chicken pieces are coated with sauce.
- Turn off the heat, transfer to a serving plate, and serve with steamed white rice.
Another great recipe by https://dailycookingquest.com.