Ayam Woku Manado - Manado Spicy Basil Chicken
- 4 tablespoon oil
- 5 kaffir lime leaves (Indonesian: daun jeruk)
- 2 pandan leaves (Indonesian: daun pandan), knotted
- 2 lemongrass (Indonesian: sereh), bruised and knotted
- 1 chicken (about 1 kilogram), cut into 12 pieces
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon sugar
- 750 ml water
- 1 tomato, cut into small pieces
- 2 scallions (Indonesian: daun bawang), thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup lemon basil leaves (Indonesian: daun kemangi), reserve 8 to 10 leaves as garnish
- Grind the following into spice paste
- 10 shallots (Indonesian: bawang merah)
- 3 red anaheim chilies (Indonesian: cabe merah besar)
- 4 red cayenne chilies (Indonesian: cabe merah keriting)
- 2 to 5 red bird eye chilies (Indonesian: cabe rawit merah)
- 8 candlenuts (Indonesian: kemiri)
- 2 inch turmeric (Indonesian: kunyit)
- 2 inch ginger (Indonesian: jahe)
- Heat oil in a pot and sauté spice paste, kaffir lime leaves, pandan leaves, and lemongrass until fragrant. About 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add chicken and cook until no longer pink.
- Add salt, sugar, and water. Bring to a boil, and continue cooking until the chicken are fully cooked. Adjust salt and sugar as needed.
- Add tomato, sliced scallions, and lemon basil leaves. Stir and cook until lemon basil leaves are wilted. Turn off heat, transfer to a serving bowl, and garnish with the reserved leaves.
Another great recipe by https://dailycookingquest.com.