Bakwan Jagung - Corn Fritter
- 3 ears fresh corn
- 125 gram shallots (~ 10 Indonesian sized, or ~ 3 US sized), minced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 stalks Chinese celery, thinly sliced, about 1/4 cup (Note 1)
- 2 stalks scallion, thinly sliced, about 1/4 cup
- 3 eggs
- 150 gram all-purpose flour
- 75 gram rice flour or tapioca starch
- 1½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 300 ml ice-cold water
- enough oil for deep frying (Note 2)
- Place a small ramekin inside a large mixing bowl. Stand each ear of corn on the small ramekin, and use a sharp knife to scrape off the kernels. The kernels will fall into the mixing bowl without making a mess. Throw away the cobs.
- Add minced shallot, minced garlic, thinly sliced scallion, thinly sliced celery, and eggs into the mixing bowl. Add also all-purpose flour, rice flour, salt, ground white pepper, and ice-cold water. Mix gently with a spatula into a thick batter.
- Heat two inches of oil in a pot to 170 Celcius (340 Fahrenheit) for deep frying.
- Drop ladleful of batter into the hot oil and fry until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes each side. Drain the fritters on a wire rack over a baking sheet. Repeat until all batter is used up. Serve hot with tomato ketchup and chili sauce.
- (1) Substitute with one stalk of regular US celery.
- (2) Use a high smoke point oil such as peanut oil, canola oil, vegetable oil, or vegetable shortening.
Another great recipe by https://dailycookingquest.com.