Bistik - Indonesian Beef Steak
- 750 gram rump steak, cut into 6 portions
- Marinating sauce
- 4 shallots (Indonesian: bawang merah)
- 2 cloves garlic (Indonesian: bawang putih)
- 1 inch ginger (Indonesian: jahe)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoon tamarind juice (2 teaspoon tamarind + 2 tablespoon water), remove pulp and pits
- 3 tablespoon dark soy sauce (Indonesian: kecap manis)
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce (Indonesian: saus tiram)
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 tablespoon tomato sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon chili sauce
- juice of 1 lime
- boiled diced carrots
- boiled chopped green beans
- boiled corn kernels
- Grind together shallot, garlic, and ginger. Then mix this with the remaining of the marinating sauce ingredients. Pour the marinating sauce over the beef, mix well, and let marinate for at least 2 hours (overnight is best) in the fridge.
- Heat oil in a grilling pan (regular frying pan works too) on medium high. Scrape the marinade from the beef, and cook for 5 minutes on each side, or as you prefer. 5 minutes on each side should get you a well done steak. Transfer the cooked steak to serving plates.
- To make the gravy, pour the marinating sauce and all the gravy ingredients to the grilling pan that was used to cook the steak. Once it boils, reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes to slightly reduce the sauce. Turn off heat and transfer to a serving bowl (or a gravy boat if you have one).
- Arrange steak and sides of carrot, green bean, and corn in serving plates. Serve with the gravy.
Another great recipe by https://dailycookingquest.com.